Estonian passport and ID card

It is possible to apply for a new passport or ID card by post from the Estonian Police and Boarder Guard Board or online at Iseteeninduskeskus (in Estonian).

To order a passport, you will need to give fingerprints if you have not given fingerprints within last 5 years. It is possible to give fingerprints at the Embassy without submitting an application free of charge.

To apply for a passport / ID card at the Embassy, you will need to take an appointment 

You will need following documents to apply for a passport / ID card at the Embassy:

Applying for the first ever passport/ ID card for your child you will also need:

  • International birth certificate
  • Written agreement of the other parent and a copy of his or her passport or ID card
  • Additional form

Children under 12 years do not have to come to the Embassy in person, one of the parents can submit the application on behalf of the child.

Children over 15 years will have to come personally to the Embassy to pick up the passport or ID card.

When applying for the first ever Estonian passport for an adult you will need documents proving that an applicant is an Estonian citizen.

If you have acquired Estonian citizenship by birth:

  • An original of a document proving that you are an Estonian citizen
  • A original of a document indicating that at least one of your parents is an Estonian citizen, and verification documents to prove that you are descended from a parent who is an Estonian citizen.

If you have acquired Estonian citizenship by naturalisation:

  • A certificate of citizenship.

Documents referring to Estonian citizenship for the period from 1918 to 1940 can be obtained from:

  • Registers of Births, Deaths and Marriages (birth certificates, certificates of marriage and divorce, certificates on changing names, etc.);
  • National Archives (certificates of Defense Forces, option certificates, school- leaving certificates, documents verifying the possession of real estate or working in the public service, etc.).